Tofu Isn't Taboo!


I don't know about you, but tofu is just a word that made me want to cringe when I heard it. I thought it'd be something that was totally disgusting. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever actually eat some. But I did! Another misconception that I had was just thinking since it was healthy, it'd be expensive. Wrong again! Now in all honesty, I can't say I'd just eat some tofu crumbled on a salad or something along that line. My first try was mixed with chocolate so I can't say I really tasted tofu. Baby steps.....

I came along this recipe called Mint-Chocolate Fudge Pie. I'm a sucker for anything mint & chocolate and was almost appalled when reading the ingredients it had tofu in it. But you know what? I said I'm going to try this because I make a French Silk Pie that is heavenly, but certainly not healthy, and if this works out, it will be a great alternative. Sadly, I actually had to Google the brand she listed in her recipe so I even knew what to look for. So, I went to the store and picked me up some tofu. It was only $1.50!
Look mom! I'm baking with tofu! ;)
 

First I made my pie crust. You can certainly use a store bought to make this go even quicker/easier but I am loyal to my pie crust recipe. In this case I was only making one pie, so I halved my recipe.

and baked it per my recipe.

Then I gathered the ingredients:

1 (12.3 oz) package Mori-Nu or Mori-Nu lite silk-firm tofu (or any brand)
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
scant 1/8 tsp salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract (start with 1/8 & add more if desired)
2-3 tablespoons agave or other sweetener (I didn't have this type of sweetener & left it out and it was just fine)
8-10 oz chocolate chips (approx 1 1/3 cup or more)

Throw all the ingredients - except for the chocolate chips - in the food processor and just hold on a second. Melt your chocolate chips either in the microwave or on the stop top.


When melted, add to the food processor. Blend until really smooth. See the 2 finger marks? My oldest and I tasted it just to make sure it wasn't gross. She was the only one that knew I was making a pie with tofu. Of course, it was yummy!


 Pour into your prepared pie crust and put in the frig to firm up. 


The longer it sits, the more firm it is. However, my family doesn't wait too long for dessert so mine isn't quite as firm looking as it could be, it was more of a mousse. But it was deelish!

I then tinted some Cool Whip with green coloring and topped my pie with that. Served it to the fam and they all thought it was great! Afterwards, I told my middle child what was in it and she immediately took to social media about how I had tricked her with a tofu pie. Geesh! You'd think she was 5 and I had promised her a trip to the circus and instead took her to the doctor's office for shots! ;)

Do you like tofu enough or do you like it "hidden" like this?

Pin It


Check out where I Link Party and share my posts!

Comments