DIY Liner for the Longaberger® Tall Tissue Basket



I promised I'd write up the post on the DIY stand up liner that will fit the Longaberger® Tall Tissue Basket (now retired) so here it is! First off, I have to say that this is probably my absolute favorite basket they made. I have one in our bedroom, the kitchen, the living room, both bathrooms, and 2 of the 3 kids rooms. Hence, the reason why I'd like to make my own liners because in true Longaberger fashion, they always retire the good stuff!

I had an older denim liner that I no longer use, so I started by taking it apart at the seams. 


Once I had the liner taken apart, I ironed the pieces flat for the most accurate measurements.


You will be able to make this liner with a half yard of fabric. 

Next, I made pattern pieces to cut out on the fabric of my choice. Cut 2 pieces of the side pattern and one of the body, on a fold where indicated. Get your PATTERN here.


When your pieces are cut, mark the 2 spots on the main body piece, right side of the fabric, with a washable ink pen or fabric marking pencil, as you need to know where to sew the side pieces. Place your pattern on both ends of the body piece and mark both sides.


Then place the shorter end of the side piece within your marks on the body piece, right sides together, like below. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew only in between your markings.


Begin at top of side piece........... end at the bottom of the side piece.
Then, do the same with the other side piece and this is what it will look like when you are done.


Next, start sewing up your 4 sides, also using a 1/4" seam allowance. 


When all 4 sides are done, it should look like this, able to "stand" up on it's own!


At this point you can decide what kind of finished top you want. You can either just fold it over and sew a simple hem, add bias tape trim, make your own bias trim with coordinating fabric, it's up to you. For this first trial run, I just did a simple folded hem but I have done the bias tape and made my own bias with coordinating fabric. They all work well.


Now it's all done! How easy was that?


Grab your basket and put in your liner!


Stand back and admire your handiwork!


One advantage to having the tissue basket is when they have all the holiday kleenex boxes on clearance, you can stock up and then at Easter no one knows you have a Christmas decor kleenex box in your basket! ;)

I have purchased several liners for different baskets dirt cheap (perfect for taking apart) at the Jelly Belly/Longaberger Factory store event so if there's one you'd like to get a pattern for just ask and I will see if I have it to take apart and duplicate.

Comments